Within the Garden of my Heart

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

3 John 1:4 Planting His Seeds

Good morning Abba, Good morning Jesus, Good morning Holy Spirit,

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
3 John 1:4

There are so many moments when my heart will leap with joy or I feel a tugging deep within my heart that says I must repent of missed opportunities.  This simple, yet beautiful sentence rolled out both of these emotions. As a parent, I felt sad that I had not opened even one of my Bibles while I was raising my children. I attended church with them in attendance. They went to private school where they had daily teachings. We watched the truth portrayed with the Holiday movies about our Lord. We sang Christian songs in the car. Yet, I had not opened the Bible as my manual for raising them. Prayers were always placed in His loving hands, I just didn't have the Word of God to speak directly over them for their future. And then the world crept in...

...as you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you,
as a father does his own children,
that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into 
His own kingdom and glory.
1 Thessalonians 2:11-12

The joy is in knowing that all things are possible. That we have the Word of God to be used all of the time in every situation. As it is written we are forgiven and given the "Sword of Truth," therefore, each day I can now speak God's blessings and truth over every one of my children and their children, as well as every generation to come. It is never too late... God's promises and blessings are still powerful yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He does not change. Therefore, I can walk with confidence that He is diligent in His watch over them. He is attending their hearts, minds, and souls. He will see them through to completion. And under the shelter of His wings, He will defend them as His own.

Today's devotional (Journey by  David Jeremiah), reminds us, "encouraging, comforting, and urging them to live lives worthy of God," will bring to fruition "the joy of seeing them walk in truth."  Grabbing moments to plant His word in our children's life requires nothing more than a desire to "attend" to their needs vs. what we need to be doing. Catching them at the right moment when we can tell them we are proud of their choice, decision, or action. Pointing out their strengths, gifts, and talents. Thanking them for their willingness to help... thanking them for their "heart of a servant," and praising them when they've accomplished a job that was well done. We can be prepared for their time of comfort... to hold them,  to reassure them of their "worthiness" and to share a verse from God whenever they are disappointed or discouraged.  It only takes a moment...
"Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remaining United

Follow Me on Pinterest

Keeping Touch:

Beautiful Works

Beautiful Works
"Ask the Lord for rain in the Springtime; it iS the Lord Who SendS the thunderstorms.He gives showers of rain to all people, and plants of the fieLd to everyone." Zechariah 10:4