Within the Garden of my Heart

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Philippians 4:8 Thinking about the Right things

Good morning Abba, Good morning Jesus, Good morning Holy Spirit,

... whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report
if there be any virtue... and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8

This morning I was reminded that my thoughts do not always need to be shared.  My thoughts are not always gracious, or of value to the glory of God.  When I was a little girl, my wise and wonderful neighbors on 42nd street were so very gracious.  For what seemed like moments of daily family time to me, I am sure seemed like hours of constant chatter to them.  And yet, they were so very important in my upbringing.  They modeled, they freely accepted, and they planted seeds of kindness, faith, and love.

As a teen, as a young adult, as I was walking my path... would I have discussed the same things with these ladies.  Absolutely not.  Whether it was about a book, movie, person, or fear... I know, that I know, I would not have talked around them the way I did my circle of family,  friends, and coworkers.  So why do I talk of those things even unto my self?

In the teachings of, A Lesson A Day by Chofetz Chaim, "it is with the heart of a child I am always ready to learn... driven by the expectation that each new day would bring new insights and new light ... with a character constantly in the process of refinement."  Today's teaching leads to an awareness about what I speak into being.

One who guards his mouth and tongue, guards his soul from tribulations.
Proverbs 21:23 

Being led by the spirit of God means that you should be able to judge what I think and believe by what I speak.  Oh man, that speaks clearly....  When I am walking in His Grace... this is evident.  When I've allowed the stuff of the world to enter my thoughts, what I watch, and who I am listening to... well a weighted burden oppresses my joy. My attitude gets out of alignment.  My feelings begin ruling what I think and say.  I give away my protection and become an easy target for the darts others are slinging at me.  Being in battle zaps me of strength, joy and peace.  Do you know the song in which the verse proclaims: "You can talk about me all that you please ...I'll talk about you while I'm on my knees.."  That's guarding you tongue in action!

Guarding my tongue begins with wearing the helmet of salvation and protecting my mind from self-discussions. Giving my thoughts to Jesus and claiming the Holy Spirit's of His thoughts and blessings becomes easier every day.  To Him is the praise, joy is so much better!

...out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh
Matthew 12:34

Thinking, fretting, talking unbelief, talking pain, talking suffering = blocking the blessings, the healing, and the joy.  Think on Phil 4:8, put into action the refusal to think about... talk about... stay around... or watch that which steals your blessings. I always told the kids: "If  Jesus lives in you, with you, and through you... then what would He be thinking about what you are saying, watching, doing, or listening to?"  Putting those words into action... yeah it is harder than you can imagine... and yet, living in the blessings because of a choice to guard and protect that which He is giving me... is such a better trade off.

David therefore declares, “Which man desires life, who loves days of seeing good? Guard your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit…”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remaining United

Follow Me on Pinterest

Keeping Touch:

Beautiful Works

Beautiful Works
"Ask the Lord for rain in the Springtime; it iS the Lord Who SendS the thunderstorms.He gives showers of rain to all people, and plants of the fieLd to everyone." Zechariah 10:4